how to grow cypress trees from seed

SuBu

Hi Im new here but I have given up trying to find an answer to my question on the net. Quite amazing really. Got the seed... what to do with it... anyone tackled this please?

SuBu

Hi this is SuBu here again under the improved managemento_O. Still looking for any help with cypresses. Have managed to get almonds to grow from seed now.

SuBu

Hi again. I want to be brave enough to try other forms of cuttings and propogation. Living in the mountains with uncertain weather I lose a certain amount of trees and plants so propogation has become a big thing for me. Any ideas please

george

I have been successful growing lemon trees from seed. It takes quite a few years, but is very satisfying. I took the pips and kept them in small pots in the sun. In the winter months I kept them inside to avoid the very cold nights. After a few years I transplanted into bigger pots and kept them outside all year round, but watering and feeding regularly. When they outgrew the bigger pots, I chanced them in the ground and they thrived.

rychyrd

Hi Subu. I grow a lot of cuttings as my garden is quite large and was just a field. I usually prefer cuttings because you are certain they will grow true, as opposed to collected seeds. I cut them when the weather changes and the parent starts into life. I cut them 160 cams long ( mas o memos) use rooting powder and put 5 in an plastic pot 120 cm diam. Cover with a plastic bag and elastic band. You have to keep checking them to ensure they don't dry out or rot. Also temp. can vary a lot in the spring. You lose some you get some but that's the joy of gardening. Some drought tolerant ground cover plants don't need the bag and I start them in divided trays at 80 at time. This is for ganzanias and pelargoniums.
Rychyrd

SuBu

Hi Subu. I grow a lot of cuttings as my garden is quite large and was just a field. I usually prefer cuttings because you are certain they will grow true, as opposed to collected seeds. I cut them when the weather changes and the parent starts into life. I cut them 160 cams long ( mas o memos) use rooting powder and put 5 in an plastic pot 120 cm diam. Cover with a plastic bag and elastic band. You have to keep checking them to ensure they don't dry out or rot. Also temp. can vary a lot in the spring. You lose some you get some but that's the joy of gardening. Some drought tolerant ground cover plants don't need the bag and I start them in divided trays at 80 at time. This is for ganzanias and pelargoniums.
Rychyrd
Thanks Rychyrd - tho guess you mean 16cms and 12coms unless you are a giant of a gardener!. Also trying to wrest some kind of a garden out of traditional olive and almond cortijo and at over 2000 feet so I have many failures. jAre you working mainly with succulents or flowering plants?