Hedges

ajay

My new house is finished but garden still a building site. First thing I want to do is plant a hedge. What are those tall, thin plants often seen around spanish gardens and any tips on planting / caring for them.

bobo

We have a hedge of these conifers. They are the tall slim trees -they are not leylandii that you have in UK, so they don't get out of hand. They have small pine cones appear from time to time. They are very cheap to buy - small ones approx. 1.5 euros each. You can buy them slightly bigger for 5 euros and larger still for 10+ euros, but they grow fairly quickly, so unless you want to cover something immediately, the small ones are easier to plant and cheaper! You need to plant them approximately 18 inches apart and mound the earth aroud the base. Make sure you give them a regular watering to get them started. We bought 60 to plant along our garden and they are growing well. When they reach the required height cut the main top stem and this allows the trees to thicken up and gives a lovely green backdrop.

Be careful when selecting your trees, some are bushier (like xmas tree shape) and are often mixed in with the other tall slim variety. Having said that, we have some of these mixed in with our hedge and they look great. Good time of year to plant them - gives them time to root and establish before the blistering heat in summer months.

ajay

Many thanks for your reply. I will be planting next to a newly built wall and will need to clear away some rubble first and then dig trench and fill with soil. Any idea what depth trench needs to be and also what these conifers are actually called.

bobo

The depth of the trench will be dependent on the size of tree you buy. It is always a good idea to dig the trench a little deeper and wider than the pot the plant comes in. This gves room for the roots to establish when you fill in the holes with plants and top soil. I always fill the holes with water first to allow the area to be moist before planting.

I think these trees are called Aurea Spanish Firs (Abies pinsapo) - tall evergreen, columnar trees. Athough I didn't know any names when I bought mine - just saw rows of them in the nursery at various heights and prices.

Hope this helps - let us know how you get on.

rychyrd

Plant thuyas as these can be pruned (carefully) and don't suffer die back if you only cut into the green wood and not the brown