jasmine

Kaki

Hi !

I have found myself to be with a garden and its quite overwhelming and exciting...as I am a total novice! I have several projects in mind,but would like to start getting some plants that smell good. A Jasmine or something. Can anyone give me a tip of what I should get and what their needs are to stay alive and happy in a spanish garden?! :D

Jim

Jasmine will do the job, but it is susceptible to frost. Most garden centres (local Spanish ones) stock it well established in pots ready for transplanting at this time of year. It will take full sun but must be watered regularly as it will drop flowers as soon as it begins to dry out. Not suitable for close proximity to swimming pools for this reason. For real scent, plant Night Scented Stock either in borders or in pots.

mel

Jasmine's lovely and it grows quickly with a lovely powerful perfume at dusk. Ensure you water it well especially in the first year and it grows best trained over a wall. You can chop it back if it becomes too spraggly and it will grow back bushier. :)

rychyrd

Jasmin

Try dama de noche. Can be a shrub or a cactus as both seem to be called the same in Spain and the scent is powerful, but don' forget colourful climbers such as the everpresent bouganvilla ( be careful of the spines close to paths) and campsis radicans