grape vines

A

Anonymous

Hi, I am totally new to this gardening lark but am trying to grow a few grape vines in our garden. Only 5, one Cardinal(seeded) and 2 each Rubi and Superior, both of those are seedless varieties.
We bought them this spring, standing about 5 ft at time of planting. The raised bed is filled with a mix of stones (for drainage), sand, compost and ash from the winter fires. On 3 of them, I removed grape buds, on the Cardinal and one Superior, I left a couple on. (Just to see if it made any difference!) I have uploaded a few pics in an album on this site labelled 'Vines'.

The few grapes we had were splitting and looking a bit sorry, i cut them a week ago and was surprised that they were already ripe. However the vines are looking rather sorry for themselves, and I have not enough experience to know what they are suffering from. Can anyone look at the pics and give advice? It could be over watering, fungal infection or heaven knows what! Probably a bit late to cure this year, but I want to know what to do to stop the problem for next season.
We are training them up a trellis and live near Elche, they are against a wall and get plenty of sun.
If anyone lives nearby and knows about vines, I'd love to get a visit arranged to show me how to prune this year too!

rychyrd

Vines, once established don't need much water but reduce the number of rods and also the leaves to aid ripening. you will need to spray for insects and fungus (sulpher spray) and reduce the bunches and the number of grape per bunch (unless you want currants)