A beautiful garden for my apartment in Andalucia, maybe!!

gilloinspain

Hi

New to this site so I will give it a go.

I am currently living in Manilva, Costa del Sol in a townhouse, but with no garden, just 3 terrace planting areas south east facing which loses summer sun aat arond 7 pm. Since moving in last feb, I started gardening with no real planning or preperation & have enjoyed watching my plants bloom & flower. I am a below average gardener but am striving to extend my knowledge as I am going to settle in this townhouse & not going to move around like I have in the last 5 years here.

So, now, after a fabulous hot summer, I am looking to start again, back to the roots (sorry for the pun) & plan & prepare my garden areas.

So what I am asking is a nudge in the right direction. I need to create:
The right soil.
The correct placing of plants
The best plants to grow
Which current plants to keep & which to throw

I currently have a 1 year old bougainvillea, but I did replant it to give it a min of 7 hours of sunlight & although it is reasonable healthy, it has stopped flowering.
I have 6 geraniums, but were mostly damaged by the 'geranium moth caterpillars' unknown to me so i think they will end up been thrown.
1 good Hibiscus
A great Basil & thyme as I do want to incorporate herbs as I love cooking.
A few others which I picked up from the local garden centre but dont know what they are.
A few types of aloe vera looking plants which are thriving.

If anyone could offer some advice it would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Giles

rychyrd

Andalucian garden

Firstly you will be planting in lots of pots so surely the soil is irrelevant as you will be buying compost? Look to setting up an irrigation system to cover when you are away (and also when you are there ) as you could find your life is all about watering the pots!
Close attention to the plants in pots is important otherwise you will suffer pest problems. Look out for cockchafer larvae in the pots as well as vine weavils.
Consider a theme....some of the most beautiful courtyards I have seen have been on an Arabic /Moorish style